Privacy Drive is an easy-to-use encryption software that uses Virtual Disk & "On-the-fly" Disk Encryption Technology to lock, hide and encrypt all your important files and folders, password protects sensitive personal and commercial information from unauthorized access.
Using industry-leading strong encryption algorithms, Privacy Drive allows you to create multiple encrypted volumes to mount as virtual disks, you can use them just as other normal hard drives. All data on the virtual disks is stored in encrypted form and is automatically encrypted or decrypted right before they are saved or loaded, you don't need to manually encrypt or decrypt each and every file or folder.
When you are done, simply dismount the virtual disk/encrypted volume and all your important files and documents will be instantly protected. There is no data stored on an encrypted volume can be read (decrypted) without using the correct password. The entire file system within the volume is encrypted (e.g., file names, folder names, contents of every file, free space, meta data, etc.).
Furthermore, you can transfer your encrypted volumes via email, upload or backup, move or copy them to external hard drives, USB drives, Firewire drives, CD/DVD, Cloud Servers (such as Microsoft SkyDrive or Google Drive) or any other portable storage device and take them with you, wherever you go, you can continue to access your encrypted data using Privacy Drive. This gives you the power of taking your sensitive data anywhere you want without the fear of data loss or theft.
Privacy Drive supports AES 128-bit & 256-bit industry standard encryption algorithms, works on Microsoft Windows 8/7/Vista/XP/2012/2008/2003 (32/64-bit) and supports FAT16/FAT32/exFAT/NTFS file systems.
- User-transparent, Virtual Disk & "On-the-Fly" Disk Encryption Technology. You don't need to manually encrypt or decrypt each and every file or folder.
- Support AES 128-bit & 256-bit industry standard encryption algorithms.
- Lock, hide, encrypt and password protect all kind of pictures, videos, documents, files and folders.
- No limit of the numbers of files and folders protected.
- Simple drag and drop to encrypt files & folders, just like using normal hard drive.
- Protected data is highly portable. Encrypted volumes can be stored on external hard drives, USB drives, Firewire drives, CD/DVD and Cloud Servers (such as Microsoft SkyDrive or Google Drive).
- Support for Deniable Encryption. Encrypted volumes do not contain any signatures that would prove this is an encrypted volume or container.
- No Backdoors. Encrypted data is protected from being accessed/modified by unauthorized users.
- And much more...
- Easy to use
By using Virtual Disk & "On-the-Fly" Disk Encryption Technology, Privacy Drive has made security as simple as using your hard drive. Files can be created, saved and opened just as before. As long as they are put onto the virtual disk, they are automatically encrypted or decrypted on-the-fly.
All algorithms are optimized and blazing fast! Privacy Drive processes data on-the-fly meaning data only gets decrypted when it is accessed. Other file encryption software encrypts or decrypts the entire file before you can use it. Privacy Drive does this automatically in the background and only to the data that you access, saving valuable time and system resources.
Privacy Drive uses industry trusted and proven algorithms. Among the chosen algorithms is AES, the Advanced Encryption Standard, selected by the NIST to be the US Federal Government standard to protect personal and commercial information.
- Intel/AMD or other compatible processor
- Microsoft Windows 8/7/Vista/XP/2012/2008/2003 (32/64-bit)
- 512MB of RAM or more
- 8MB of available hard disk space
- Why do you need Privacy Drive?
- For protecting sensitive personal and commercial information. For example, you can hide your sensitive data from other people who might have access to your computer, or encrypt your files on a removable storage device for transportation to prevent that the files can be accessed when the device is stolen or lost.
- How does it work?
- The encryption engine of Privacy Drive operates at system kernel level between the operation system and the virtual disk, providing user-transparent, on-the-fly disk encryption and decryption. Every read operation on the virtual disk causes decryption of the data to be read to RAM memory, and every write operation causes encryption of data to be written to disk. All data are automatically encrypted or decrypted right before they are saved or loaded, without any user intervention. This "On-the-Fly" encryption technology is called Transparent Encryption.
- Your data is always stored in safe, encrypted form, entire file system is encrypted (e.g., file names, folder names, contents of every file, free space, meta data, etc.). There is no data stored on an encrypted volume can be read (decrypted) without using the correct password.
- How strong is protection in Privacy Drive?
- The program uses the AES-256 encryption algorithm (with the 256-bit key length). Currently, there are no computers that could break the encryption key in a reasonable amount of time (it will take millions of years).
- How can the password be broken?
- A password, or more precisely its hash (SHA-256 or SHA-512), is used to protect the encryption key. Neither the password nor its hash is stored anywhere. You enter it while mounting an encrypted volume. If the password is not correct, it will be impossible to get the encryption key and consequently to decrypt data info.
- We recommend that you do not use short or simple passwords. Store them in safe places or, even better, memorize them.
- Is there a "Backdoor" in the software?
- Absolutely No! Please keep in mind your password. If you forget your password, you will not be able to access your data anymore. There is no special procedure, secret code, or hidden entry method to fall back on.
- What is Encryption & Decryption?
- Encryption is the conversion of data into a form, called a ciphertext, that cannot be easily understood by unauthorized people. Decryption is the process of converting encrypted data back into its original form, so it can be understood.
- What is Encrypted Volume & Virtual Disk?
- Encrypted Volume - A special container that will be used to store encrypted data, it can be mounted as a virtual disk. All files and folders stored in the virtual disk are automatically stored in the container file in encrypted form. The container file is called encrypted volume. By default, the container file has a .pdv file extension, however you can store your encrypted data to a file with any extension.
- Virtual Disk - A virtual device that will be used to access encrypted volume. You can use the virtual disk to access encrypted data (pictures, videos, documents, files and folders.) that stored in encrypted volume.
- What is the maximum size of an encrypted volume?
- The maximum file size is limited by 2GB for FAT16, 4GB for FAT32 and 2TB for NTFS file systems.
- Is it possible to increase the size of an encrypted volume?
- No. In this case, you should create a new encrypted volume with a larger size and copy all the data into it.
- Can I share the vitual disk on a network?
- Yes, you can. The virtual disk look like usual local disk, and any software or operating system utility will work with the virtual disk in the usual way. As an example of this feature, the virtual disk can be shared on a network in the same way as other local drives.
- Can I store the encrypted volume on a network share?
- Yes, you can. It is safe to store and mount an encrypted volume on a network share since Privacy Drive automatically encrypts the data transmitted over the network.
- What happens after the 15-day trial period expires?
- You will not able to create new encrypted volume and existing encrypted volumes will be mounted as read-only mode.
- Do you offer an online backup service?
- No, we don't. You may use Google Drive or Microsoft SkyDrive from anywhere, anytime to make online backup of your encrypted volumes. Google Drive gives you 5GB of permanent storage. You just need a Google Account to use Google Drive. Microsoft SkyDrive gives 7GB of permanent storage and total 25GB of temporay storage for a limited time. You must have a Window Live Account to store your files in the SkyDrive.
- How to install Privacy Drive?
- If you download Privacy Drive self-extracting setup file from Internet. Just double click the setup file in Windows Explorer and the setup process will start. If you download the Privacy Drive zip package, please extract all files from the package into a temporary directory using your archiver, such as WinZip or WinRAR. Run the installation program(setup.exe), follow the instructions that appear on the screen.
- How to uninstall Privacy Drive?
There are two ways to uninstall Privacy Drive:
1. Click Start -> All Programs -> Privacy Drive -> Uninstall Privacy Drive
2. Click Start -> Control Panel -> Programs and Features or or Add/Remove Programs -> Privacy Drive